Develop your interview skills
It's natural to feel nervous at an interview. The best way to alleviate your anxiety and come across as confident and knowledgeable is to prepare ahead of time and practice, practice, practice!
Some basic questions to ask yourself before preparing for an interview
- What are the most commonly asked interview questions?
- Do I know the difference between behavioural interview questions and situational interview questions and can I effectively answer either type of question?
- How much information is too much and how much is too little?
- Is it okay to use examples from unpaid experiences if I've never had a paid job before?
- What should I wear?
What kind of impression do you give in an interview?
If you want to see what you look like while you're answering interview questions (you'd be surprised at how often you say "um" or fidget with your hair or hands!) practice in front of the mirror or with somebody who will give you honest and constructive feedback: a friend, roommate, family member, or a Job Search Advisor at the Career Centre who can conduct a videotaped Interview Practice Session with you and provide feedback to strengthen your interview skills.
Career Centre Resources
- Interview Preparation: Approach your next interview or networking event with increased confidence. Learn how you can influence the first impression you make and show your best self while answering employers’ questions.
- Career Lounge: Pop-in with a quick question or bring a career document to work on and stay awhile.
- Answering Behavioural Interview Questions Using STAR [PDF - 63 kB]
- Reference Sheet Guide [PDF - 55 kB]
- Sample Business Cards [PDF -125 kB]
- Sample Interview Questions [PDF - 62 kB]
- Sample Questions to Ask an Interviewer V2 [PDF - 77 kB]
- Secrets to Effective Handshakes [PDF - 101 kB]
- Basic Interview Skills: This great video by The Suny Rockland Community College gives an overview of the interview process, including tips on what you should do…and not do!
- Interview Do’s and Don’ts: A brief video from Vault addressing such issues as what to wear to an interview, how to shake hands, and how to handle key questions such as “Tell me about yourself”.
Click here to go back to: Looking for a job?