Write an engaging cover letter
Your cover letter should never read like a form letter! It's your first introduction to an employer so be sure that it is targeted, outlines your skills and experience as they relate to the particular job and leaves a good impression with the reader.
The ultimate goal of your cover letter is to represent you in a way that entices the employer to read your resumé.
Your cover letter should…
- be tailored to the company and position to which you are applying;
- be professional and written in a standard format for business correspondence;
- make specific reference to the ways in which you meet the skills and experience requirements specified in the job posting (or clearly indicate why the skills and experience you do have would make you a success in the position);
- highlight some key points from your resumé, particularly those that demonstrate your fit for the position;
- raise points that aren't obvious on your resumé, like why you're interested in the position, what you like about the organization, what you hope to bring to the job, and why you should be considered a strong candidate; and
- never be longer than one page.
Career Centre Resources
- Resumé & Cover Letter Writing: Learn to write resumés and cover letters that stand out from the crowd.
- Career Lounge: Pop-in with a quick question or bring a career document to work on and stay awhile.
- Cover Letter - Did You Know? [PDF - 437 kB]
- Cover Letter Tips Checklist [PDF - 162 kB]
- Parts of a Cover Letter & Cover Letter Introductions [PDF - 137 kB]
Cover Letter Samples
- Sample Cover Letter: 2nd Year Student [PDF - 225 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Biochemistry [PDF - 83 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Computer Science [PDF - 138 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Economics [PDF - 125 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Environmental Studies [PDF - 124 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: French Studies [PDF - 236 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Human Resources [PDF - 124 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Public Administration [PDF - 76 kB]
- Sample Cover Letter: Sociology [PDF - 114 kB]
Cover Letters: types and samples: An assortment of cover letter samples from Virginia Tech Career Services.
Click here to go back to: Looking for a job?