What is the Attendance Policy?
If you miss 3 individual appointments or TASTE appointments without cancelling before 9:00 am on the day of the appointment, you'll be blocked from booking appointments for the remainder of the term.
Why is there an Attendance Policy?
For all Career Centre appointments, there are a number of students who register but do not show up. This means that many students who want to attend an appointment are unable to register even though an appointment goes unused and could have been made available if the student who registered had called to cancel rather than not showing up.
The number of Career Centre appointments is limited and we often have to ask students to wait several weeks to access the service they want. The Career Centre's attendance policy is in place to ensure that all students who want access to Career Centre appointments have a fair chance of registering and that spaces for services that are in high demand do not go unused.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Career Centre's attendance policy, please contact Dianne Twombly, Manager, Career Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Number of Appointments
In order to ensure that Career Centre services are available to all students who need them, students may book appointments as follows:
- up to six Resume/Cover Letter Feedback Sessions per academic year with a maximum of two appointments per week.
- up to two Interview Practice Sessions per academic year with a maximum of one appointment per week.
- up to two Job Search Advising Appointments per academic year with a maximum of one appointment per week.
- up to six Career Counselling appointments per academic year.
There is no limit to the number of workshops you may attend.
Individual appointments begin promptly at their scheduled time.
If you arrive late for your designated appointment time, you will be given the remainder of your appointment time only.
Prior to your appointment, please take the time to become familiar with our location at 202 McLaughlin College to ensure you arrive on time.
The volume of content and/or interactive nature of certain workshops require that they are delivered within the specified time frame without interruptions. Students who come late for these particular workshops will miss out on some of the key learning objectives. In order to reduce disruptions to the participants and the facilitator, and to ensure that you experience the maximum benefit, no one will be admitted to the following workshops 10 minutes after they have begun:
- Resume & Cover Letter Writing
- Who Am I? Self Assessment Game
- Dining Etiquette
To avoid missing these workshops, and to allow sufficient time to sign-in and be seated, please arrive 10-15 minutes early. Students who arrive 10 minutes or more after these workshops have begun will be asked to sign up for the next available workshop that fits their schedule.
If you need to cancel your attendance at an individual appointment, TASTE appointment, workshop, employer recruitment session, educator information session or Career Conversations panel event, please do so as soon as possible so that your space can become available for another student.
For T.A.S.T.E. Mentoring Meetings ONLY:
If you are unable to attend your scheduled T.A.S.T.E Mentoring meeting you must email Surina Sohal at email@example.com and your mentor before the meeting (preferably at least 24 hours in advance) to reschedule.
For one-on-one appointments:
We would appreciate 24 hours notice. You will receive a no-show if you cancel after 9:00 am on the day of your appointment. Note that you will be blocked from the system for the term after three no shows.
You can cancel your appointment in one of two ways:
- Go to Experience York (you will be able to sign in using your Passport York)
- Log in with your Passport York username and password
- From your Dashboard, scroll down until you see the section “Your Upcoming Schedule”
- Click on the red Cancel button to the right of the appointment you wish to cancel
- Contact the Career Centre by calling 416-736-5351 prior to 9:00 am on the day of your appointment.
- Leave a voicemail message clearly stating the following:
- Your name
- Your student number
- The name/date of the activity for which you are cancelling
Please note that due to the high volume of e-mails we receive, we regret that we cannot accept cancellations via e-mail.