What is the Attendance Policy?
If you miss 3 individual appointments or TASTE lunch appointments within an academic year without cancelling, you’ll be blocked from participating in Career Centre activities and from accessing the Career Centre’s online job posting system for 6 months.
Why is there an Attendance Policy?
For all Career Centre appointments, there are a number of students who register but do not show up. This means that many students who want to attend an appointment are unable to register even though an appointment goes unused and could have been made available if the student who registered had called to cancel rather than not showing up.
The number of Career Centre appointments is limited and we often have to ask students to wait several weeks to access the service they want. The Career Centre’s attendance policy is in place to ensure that all students who want access to Career Centre appointments have a fair chance of registering and that spaces for services that are in high demand do not go unused.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Career Centre’s attendance policy, please contact Dianne Twombly, Manager, Career Development at email@example.com.
Number of Appointments
In order to ensure that Career Centre services are available to all students who need them, students may book appointments as follows:
- up to six Resume/Cover Letter Feedback Sessions per academic year with a maximum of two appointments per week.
- up to two Interview Practice Sessions per academic year with a maximum of one appointment per week.
- up to two Job Search Advising Appointments per academic year with a maximum of one appointment per week.
- up to six Career Counselling appointments per academic year.
You may book only one Career Consult (this is a one-time-only intake appointment).
Appointment Start Times
Individual appointments begin promptly on the hour or half hour. Career Counsellors and Job Search Advisors are unable to extend the length of your appointment as this will keep other students waiting. If you are late for an individual appointment, you will be given the remainder of your appointment time only.
Workshop Start Times
The content of our workshops is comprehensive and as such, must be delivered within the specified time frame. Students who come late for workshops will miss out on some of the key learning objectives. In order to reduce disruptions to the participants and the facilitator, and to ensure that you experience the maximum benefit, no one will be admitted to a workshop 10 minutes after it has begun. To avoid missing the workshop, and to allow sufficient time to sign-in and be seated, please arrive 10-15 minutes early. Students who arrive 10 minutes or more after a workshop has begun will be asked to sign up for the next available workshop that fits their schedule.
Employer Recruitment and Educator Information Session Start Times
Students who register in advance for employer recruitment or educator information session are guaranteed a space in the session until the start of the session. If a student is 10 or more minutes late to an employer recruitment or educator information session, that student’s space will be given to a student who is waiting.
If you need to cancel your attendance at an individual appointment, TASTE lunch appointment, workshop, Employer Recruitment Session, Educator Information Session or Career Conversations, please do so as soon as possible so that your space can become available for another student.
For TASTE lunch appointments ONLY:
Contact the Career Centre by calling 416-736-5351 NO LATER THAN 9:00 am the day before the scheduled lunch. (e.g. If your lunch is scheduled to take place on June 15 at 12:00 pm, you must notify the Career Centre that you will not be able to attend by 9:00 am on June 14th.)
Leave a voicemail message clearly stating the following:
- Your name
- Your student number
- That you are cancelling a TASTE lunch
- The date of your lunch
- The name of the alumnus/a you were scheduled to meet
For one-on-one appointments, workshops, recruitment/information sessions and panels:
We require 24 HOURS NOTICE of cancellation:
- Go to the Career Centre’s online system
- Login with your Passport York username and password
- Go to the events & appointments section
- Find the tab for the activity you are registered for (“Employers Recruitment Sessions & Educator Information Sessions” or “Workshops & Appointments”)
- Find the activity in the list (you may use the “Event Type” or “Events you are registered for” fields to narrow down your search)
- Click on the “Cancel Register” button beside the activity
- Contact the Career Centre by calling 416-736-5351 NO LATER THAN 24 HOURS prior to the day of your appointment.
- Leave a voicemail message clearly stating the following:
- Your name
- Your student number
- The name/date of the activity for which you are cancelling
Please note that due to the high volume of e-mails we receive, we regret that we cannot accept cancellations via e-mail.
Any student who fails to show up or cancel their registration for an individual appointment or TASTE lunch appointment three times within an academic year will be ineligible to access Career Centre services – including the Career Centre’s online job posting system – for six months.