Deal proactively with rights violations

Deal proactively with rights violations

Rights violations in the workplace is a serious issue and should be treated as such. If you believe your rights have been violated at work, your first course of action should be to discuss the situation with your immediate supervisor in order to resolve the issue. If you are unhappy with the outcome of your discussion with your supervisor, you may wish to escalate your complaint to your company's Human Resources department. If you are still not satisfied with the resolution, the government can support you.

If your job is associated with a course (eg. A practicum placement or unpaid community or classroom based experiential education experience) and you feel your rights are being violated, speak with your practicum coordinator or professor if this is more comfortable for you. If you are on an internship or co-op placement, speak with your internship or co-op coordinator.

Employment Standards Claim - This form is used to file a claim under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA). Use this form to file a claim for issues such as payment of wages, public holidays, hours of work, overtime pay, vacation time and pay, statutory leaves, etc

Resolving human rights issues in the workplace - This section addresses the many practical issues that arise when an employer is called on to resolve human rights issues using existing human rights policies and complaint resolution procedures.

Click here to go back to: Want to succeed on the job?