Distress Centres of Greater Toronto
Please note: Not all employers provided information about their positions and application processes. Please visit their websites for more details.
Since 1967, Distress Centres has provided 24-hour support, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to individuals in our community at risk and their most vulnerable. We are Canada’s oldest volunteer delivered crisis, emotional support and suicide prevention + intervention + post-vention service agency.
Our crisis and emotional distress services are available via hotline and text. We also offer face-to-face individual as well as group support and counselling to those who have lost a loved one to suicide or homicide and are navigating the aftermath. Distress Centres continues to expand, and our program participants & call volume increases each year.
Distress Centres now answers more than 104,300+ call, text and online chats annually, places more than 56,000 outbound calls, and is a pilot site for the recently launched National Suicide Hotline (Canadian Suicide Prevention Service) via Crisis Service Canada.
Recruiting for: We are recruiting for both inbound and outbound services including our Helpline, multi-lingual lines (Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Portuguese, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin), Touching Base, TeleCheck, and CRP.
Specially interested in seeing students from these Programs:
Anyone who is interested in offering support is a good fit.
Our requirements include:
- Over 18 years of age
- Excellent computer skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to be level-headed in crisis
- Accepting of callers with a variety of concerns
- Able to follow policies and procedures
- Excellent command of the English language (spoken and written)
- Ability to participate in 36-40 hours of training, which involves preparatory reading, virtual in-class training, and on-the-lines coaching shifts